PuzzleMaster

Trick Bolt #2

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 by Gabriel | 1 comments
Labels: , ,

(Click to Enlarge)
Trick Bolts is yet another interesting class of puzzles that I've recently acquired and I'm quite fascinated by them. The other type of puzzles I was referring to is the Bottle Puzzles, also recently reviewed.

I got two Trick Bolts from my latest PuzzleMaster order: Trick Bolt #1 and #2. Now, why am I reviewing #2 first instead of #1? - The answer is simple, I solved #2 first. The Trick Bolt #1 is still unsolved, so its review will come very soon, I hope...

These bolts are produced by PuzzleMaster and are made from solid metal - they're quite heavy - and look like the real thing. These are also not small, contrary to what I was expecting: the one I'm reviewing today measures 9.7 x 2.5cm (that's about 3.8" x 1"), which by the way feels much more comfortable holding it in your hands. 

The object of the Trick Bolts, as you might expect, is nothing more than one or two simple movements - that's why they're called "Trick" bolts. Discovering these exact movements is anything but simple, though. Although both trick bolts are classified as a level 7/10 (Challenging), a beginner might feel at a loss as to how to tackle this particular type of puzzles.

(Click to Enlarge)
I feel I got a bit lucky with the Trick Bolt #2, because I didn't take too long to figure it out. The puzzle features a a ring and a nut, and the goal is to actually remove the ring, not the nut. The bolt also has two indentations at the top where the ring appears to fit and be removed from there, but no matter how you try it, it just won't go through. To make things even more complex, the nut seems to be welded to the bolt. There must be another way...

The solution is, obviously, counterintuitive, but at the same time this particular concept doesn't have many different movements you can try, so you'll eventually solve it after some trial and error. Even for a first timer, this one can be solved within seconds. I can't say the same thing for the other trick bolt, though, as I'm still stuck trying to figure it out. Stay tuned for my next chapter...

(Click to Enlarge)
Closing Comments:

I love the fact that after more than 4 years of collecting, I still get to find these extremely interesting new types of puzzles. I'm really excited to add the Trick Bolts to my ever expanding collection, and if you don't already own one of these, give them a try and I'm sure you'll be "bolted" as well.

Availability: The Trick Bolt #2 is available at PuzzleMaster for just $10 CAD. If you like, you can also get the Trick Bolt #1 for the same price.


1 comments:

Ashley said...

This is a great post! These types of small metal brainteasers are so cool. I work at a puzzle store and we have some on display. They seem so simple but are very challenging despite the size. You might check out Puzzle Warehouse, they have tons of puzzles and games for sale online, especially unique items you can't find anywhere else.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...